As a couple of you have pointed out to me, Judge Posner has addressed the
Alito dissent; in Slate (
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_breakfast_table/features/2013/supreme_court_2013/supreme_court_and_doma_justice_alito_s_defense_is_all_emotion.html),
he writes:

Alito is drawn to such arguments for DOMA as “the institution of marriage
was created for the purpose of channeling heterosexual intercourse into a
structure that supports child rearing,” and “marriage is essen­tially the
solemnizing of a comprehensive, exclusive, per­manent union that is
intrinsically ordered to producing new life, even if it does not always do
so.” The first argument would have force only if one supposed (as virtually
no one does any longer) that banning same-sex marriage would channel gays
into straight marriages. The bearing of the second argument (a close
paraphrase of official Vatican sex doctrine) eludes me. A sperm bank is
intrinsically ordered to producing new life, even if it does not always do
so. So what? A marriage of a man to a woman known to be sterile could not
be thought intrinsically ordered to producing new life, yet it would surely
be recognized by Alito as a valid marriage entitled to federal marital
benefits. *So far as yet appears, opposition to same-sex marriage, and to
federal benefits for gay couples, is emotional and sectarian, rather than
rational.*

I'm not sure this is quite responsive to Alito, because I'm not sure Alito
would disagree:  As I read his dissent, his view is that *because *opposition
to same-sex marriage, and to federal benefits for gay couples, is indeed
"emotional and sectarian, rather than rational" (not quite how Alito would
put it, of course, but basically his point), courts cannot assess it . . .
but legislatures can and must do so.