Of course history (people) can make sectarian views nonsectarian and vice
versa.   A religious belief under the Constitution is what the religious
believer says it is right now,
not what history said it was or should be.   Alito is following Vatican
(religious) dogma.   In current US society, the push against gay marriage is
based on religious believers who believe it is sinful for same sex couples to
marry.  That is the discourse regardless of the source of their current beliefs.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School