I'm relatively new to this list, but can you possibly believe this?:

The morality of homosexual relationships can only be maintained by someone who
is unaware of - or ignores - the arguments that are actually made.

On Jun 30, 2013, at 8:41 PM, "Esenberg, Richard"
<richard.esenb...@marquette.edu<mailto:richard.esenb...@marquette.edu>> wrote:

The morality of homosexual relationships can only be maintained by someone who
is unaware of - or ignores - the arguments that are actually made. You can
certainly disagree with these arguments but they do not proceed from
theological premises.

Posner's characterization on Slate of Altio's recitation of the argument
regarding the effect of SSM on marriage in general is of that piece; it fails
to address what the argument actually says.

It may well be that Burkean conservatives are being driven from the field by
shrill accusations of "hate" and "bigotry" but I wouldn't count that an
argument in favor of the outcome in Windsor.
________________________________
From:
religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
[religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>]
on behalf of Paul Horwitz [phorw...@hotmail.com<mailto:phorw...@hotmail.com>]
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:38 PM
To: hamilto...@aol.com<mailto:hamilto...@aol.com>
Cc: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>;
conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:conlawp...@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Marriage -- the Alito dissent

On the first point only, the reservation is just that--a reservation. For EC
purposes, doctrine aside, I'm not sure whether I believe the religiosity of a
statement or display can be fixed only by contemporary understanding. I suspect
my conclusion would be that both historical and contemporary meaning are
relevant if not inextricably linked, but I'd have to think it through more
carefully. Best, Paul

Sent from my iPhone while driving

On Jun 30, 2013, at 12:00 PM, hamilto...@aol.com<mailto:hamilto...@aol.com>