Interesting piece. I think there have been and should be Establishment Clause
constraints on the burdens religious accommodations can impose on third
parties, but determining how and where this line should be drawn is no easy
task.

I think there are three other distinctions or questions one might raise about
extending RFRA exemptions to for-profit corporations.

First, religious liberty and freedom of conscience is primarily a dignitary
right, not an instrumental right. Citizens United involved the instrumental
goals of the free speech clause. Does the Constitution provide the same
dignitary protection to corporations that it provides to human persons? See,
e.g. Justice Rehnquist's dissent in PG & E v. PUC.

Second, I think the state would need to worry more about sham claims for
religious exemptions from for-profit companies than religious non-profits. The
religious identity of the great majority of religious non-profit corporations
is not hard to determine. Religion is the core of their activity. The core
activity of the great majority of for-profit corporation is making a profit. It
will be harder to guarantee the genuineness of claims for religious exemptions
in the for-profit sector. This is particularly true when the exemption will
reduce the corporation's costs. While this concern might be more appropriately
considered in the application of strict scrutiny review, one might argue that
the case for not granting the exemption is sufficiently strong that we could
adopt a prophylactic rule preventing for-profit companies from asserting the
statutory right in the first place.

Third, we often require the recipients of exemptions to channel the cost of the
obligation they need not obey toward some other public good or service that is
consistent with their faith. See, e.g. conscientious objectors being required
to perform alternative service. Would the case for an exemption be strengthened
if the recipient of the exemption was required to direct whatever it saved from
being relieved of the obligation to provide contraceptive coverage toward some
other government identified public good?

I am inclined to agree with Tom that there are important arguments on both
sides of this case.

Alan Brownstein