This isn't lunch-- it is medical treatment for women.  (Contraceptive meds may
work against some Catholics' beliefs but they are often taken for
non-contraceptive reasons, so the contraception label for this is
religio-centric).

And women have a civil right against these employers not to be discriminated
against on gender or religion.  A benefit plan that carves out medical
treatment based on the employer's religious beliefs and that only applies to
women is discriminatory.

Let's say that the employer believes that all women should have their heads
covered because of religious belief .  Again, discrimination based on religion
and gender in violation of Title VII.

Or how about an employer who believes women belong in the home taking care of
their kids, and therefore scales salary to deincentivize women and drive them
from the workplace.   ( the answer that these employers wouldn't hire women is
a factual dodge, that avoids the legal issue). Same problem

Or let's say that a religious company owner learns that an employee had an
abortion (which is consistent w her religious beliefs) and fires her for doing
what he believes is murder.   Discrimination on religion and gender.

In each of these cases I think the govt has a compelling interest in protecting
women against such discrimination in these workplaces and that there is no less
restrictive means than requiring cos covered by Title VII to cover women's
health care, period.  Given that the woman makes an intervening choice whether
to use it, burden on the employer is de minimis.
(I know that there is a claim that the very payment for the plan that includes
contraception violates beliefs but the question is LRM and this is it)

Brad throws in a red herring -- the believer need not choose to have a
for-profit company with over 50 employees.  Heading up a nonprofit or a smaller
company escapes these civil rights.   There is no constitutional right to make
money and engage in gender and religious discrimination.

Having said all that, the problem here is really RFRA, but I have written
extensively on its shortcomings and won't belabor the point here.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School