What they had was the reality of politics and the forces arrayed against them.
 As one said to me, if it doesn't make a difference why try for a
constitutional amendment to delete it and fix it permanently?

In federal court, substantial burden has been a difficult hurdle for claimants.

Marci A. Hamilton
Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School
Yeshiva University