I have some further posts up on Balkinization.  More importantly, both Chip
Lupu/Bob Tuttle and Doug Laycock have excellent posts up as part of the
SCOTUSblog symposium, which I commend to all of you:

Chip/Bob:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/symposium-religious-questions-and-saving-constructions/

Doug:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/symposium-congress-answered-this-question-corporations-are-covered/

I have questions/reactions to a couple of things in Doug's post:

First, Doug argues that many or all members of Congress during the RLPA
debate assumed that the bill, which at the time was similar (but not
identical) to RFRA, would at least allow for-profit corporations or their
directors/owners to bring claims.  But as I recall, Doug and others also
reassured members of Congress, in public testimony, that large for-profit
companies would always or almost always *lose *under RLPA.  Doug, do you
think this is one of the rare or exceptional cases where the large
for-profit plaintiffs should win, and, if so, why is this the outlier?

Second, Doug writes that "If these plaintiffs will not pay for what they
believe to be such an extraordinary wrong, then in the government's view, *they
are barred from owning any business with more than fifty employees*."  But
it is simply not true that the consequence of excluding contraception from
the plan would be that the plaintiffs are "barred from owning any business
with more than fifty employees."  *Even if the company had fewer than 50
employees, its plan would still have to include contraception*.  If
*any*employer, with fewer *or
*more than fifty employees, does not wish to include all required services
in an employee benefit plan, it has two choices:  either be subject to
prohibitive payments (in effect fines) or get rid of their employee plan
(in which case most of their employees would be eligible for a subsidized
plan on an exchange).  A more accurate way of stating the law would be:
"If these plaintiffs, or any other employers, do not include coverage in
their companies' plans for what they believe to be such an extraordinary
wrong, then *they will have little choice but to drop their plans."*

Also, another small thing related to that sentence:  The individual
plaintiffs, at least in *Hobby Lobby*, would not "pay for" contraception --
indeed, they are not even shareholders -- and their brief makes it clear, I
think, that *payment *is not the gravamen of their complaint.  See
http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/02/hobby-lobby-part-viii-hobby-lobbys.html