I have a short essay coming out next month that offers a considerably
different take than Doug on both the legislative history of RLPA and the
text of the 1999 version of RLPA as compared to RFRA. A draft of the essay
is available here:

Obamacare, RFRA, and the Perils of Legislative History
http://ssrn.com/abstract=2398763

The relevant discussion can be found on pages 5-10 of the draft. My
bottom-line conclusion is that "the 1998 and 1999 debates over RLPA fall
far short of demonstrating an 'undisputed public understanding that the
language in RFRA protected for-profit corporations and their owners.'"

On the specific claim that the text of RFRA and RLPA were identical, I make
the same point I see Marty has made in his separate response to Doug -- the
1999 RLPA has a "broad construction" provision that was in neither the 1998
RLPA or RFRA. Thus, the more relevant RLPA legislative history is the 1998
debate, not the 1999 debate Doug relies upon in the CLS amicus brief and
his SCOTUS Blog post. And the 1998 testimony casts considerable doubt on
the claim that large for-profit businesses are protected by RFRA.

On a different note, I want to second Marty's recommendation of the
symposium over at SCOTUS Blog. Specifically, I highly recommend folks take
a look at Chip and Bob's piece, which makes an important argument calling
for symmetry between the treatment of employee accommodations under Title
VII and employer accommodations under RFRA (in both cases this avoids
establishment concerns raised by exemptions that impose more than de
minimis burdens on others). Chip and Bob's piece is available here:
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/symposium-religious-questions-and-saving-constructions/

- Jim