I have not gone back to review all the RLPA testimony, but yes we did
predict that large commercial businesses seeking religious exemptions from
civil rights laws would generally lose.

The context of that testimony was civil rights claims. And it was a
prediction of what the courts would do in fact, not a judgment about what
they should do. But I would probably be comfortable with most of the results
we predicted.

The kinds of civil rights claims RLPA's supporters wanted to preserve mostly
did not arise in business situations. Religious discrimination by religious
organizations setting their criteria for membership, as in CLS v. Martinez,
is rarely a legitimate business interest. Sex and marital-status
discrimination in the ordination of a celibate male clergy is not a business
interest.

The existing examples at the time were the landlord-tenant cases, all of
which involved small landlords. People could envision issues with kosher
butchers and Christian bookstores, and with the broad reach of some state
civil rights laws. Some state laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of
"any lawful off-the-job activity." Think the church secretary moonlighting
in an abortion clinic, or a strip club, or any other business that is lawful
but disreputable in the view of some.

Same-sex marriage was on the far horizon; I don't recall anyone thinking
about wedding photographers and the like.

I believed that as the business grows, it becomes less plausible to view it
as a personal extension of the owner. Mrs. Smith with two duplexes may feel
morally responsible for every unit, and she may be doing all the work of
leasing and maintenance herself. A landlord with multiple apartment
complexes is less likely to feel that moral responsibility, and less likely
to persuade a court that he does. He certainly does not have to become
personally involved with what he considers the immoral use of his property
by particular tenants. And as the business grows, the government's interest
grows.

I did not envision at the time, and I don't know that anyone else did, a
case like Hobby Lobby. Here the business is large, but it is closely held by
devoutly religious and religiously unanimous owners. The government is
demanding a decision that must be made at the level of senior management for
the entire corporation; in 1998 and 99, people were thinking about issues
posed by one customer somewhere, to be dealt with by a rank-and-file
employee where it arose. And the owners and senior management understand the
decision the government wants to be profoundly evil - to require that they
cause their corporation to pay for, contract for, arrange for, and provide
to their employees and present as normal the option of killing innocent
human beings. That's not my view of emergency contraception and IUDs, but it
is theirs.

I would not want a decision in Hobby Lobby limited to those facts, and I'm
not sure where I would draw the line. But no one in 1998 and 1999 was
thinking about, or predicting judicial reaction to, a case like this.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546