Many state laws on sexual-orientation discrimination, and most laws on
same-sex marriage, have exemptions for religious organizations. Some are
broad; some are narrow. Some are well drafted; some are a mess. But they are
mostly there.

Apart from marriage, there is no reason to have religious exemptions for
businesses from laws on sexual-orientation discrimination. No one in the
groups I have been part of has ever suggested such exemptions. Not even the
Kansas bill provides such exemptions.

Chip is correct that no state has explicitly exempted small businesses in
the wedding industry, or in marriage counseling, from its same-sex marriage
legislation. All those laws so far have been in blue states. The absurd
overreach in the Kansas bill, and the resulting political reaction to the
radically different Arizona bill, and some bills caught in the fire
elsewhere with less publicity, may indicate that such exemptions will be
hard to enact even in red states. Or maybe not, if someone offers a well
drafted, narrowly targeted bill when or after same-sex marriage becomes the
law in those states.

I agree with Alan Brownstein that part of the problem in red states is that
they want to protect religious conservatives without protecting gays and
lesbians. Not only does Arizona not have same-sex marriage; it doesn't have
a law on sexual-orientation discrimination. The blue states are mostly the
mirror image. More and more they want to protect gays and lesbians but not
religious conservatives. Hardly any political actors appear to be interested
in protecting the liberty of both sides.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546