From: Sisk, Gregory C. <gcs...@stthomas.edu>
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics' <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Wed, Feb 26, 2014 4:16 pm
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: Kansas/Arizona statutes protecting for-profit businesses

Every sorry episode in the long American history of suppression of religious minorities has been justified by the undoubtedly sincere beliefs of the majority at the time that they are on the right side of history and that taking additional steps to force the minority to fall into line is merely to advance progress.  More than a half century ago, the public demand for fealty to America in the face of external and internal threats of totalitarian ideologies imposed itself on religious communities who refused to engage in certain public displays of loyalty.  Not too long ago, the War on Drugs was extended to prohibit ceremonial use of sacred substances.  Quite recently, fears about terrorism have been used to adopt measures that target, profile, and denigrate persons of Muslim faith.  And now an expansion of anti-discrimination laws to cover new categories of protected persons, to include new sectors of society, and to apply to new entities, has imposed itself with a heavy hand on certain traditionalist religious groups.  In the past, we learned from mistakes in overreaching through policy and accepted accommodations to religious minorities that expanded freedom without substantially undermining key public policies.  We need to search for that balance again.  Vigilance in defense of religious liberty, especially when the majority is convinced of its righteousness (which is almost always), must be renewed in every generation.

In sum, it is dangerous for anyone exercising political power to come too readily to the certain conclusion that they are not only absolutely correct about the right answer to every issue but absolutely entitled to use whatever means are possible to advance that right answer without any concern for the impact on those who sincerely disagree, with the presumption of every powerful elite that those who think otherwise should learn “to adjust.”  To quote Learned Hand, as I did several days ago, “The Spirit of Liberty is the spirit that is not too sure that it is right.”

Gregory Sisk
Laghi Distinguished Chair in Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minnesota)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923