Every sorry episode in the long American history of suppression of religious
minorities has been justified by the undoubtedly sincere beliefs of the
majority at the time that they are on the right side of history and that taking
additional steps to force the minority to fall into line is merely to advance
progress.  More than a half century ago, the public demand for fealty to
America in the face of external and internal threats of totalitarian ideologies
imposed itself on religious communities who refused to engage in certain public
displays of loyalty.  Not too long ago, the War on Drugs was extended to
prohibit ceremonial use of sacred substances.  Quite recently, fears about
terrorism have been used to adopt measures that target, profile, and denigrate
persons of Muslim faith.  And now an expansion of anti-discrimination laws to
cover new categories of protected persons, to include new sectors of society,
and to apply to new entities, has imposed itself with a heavy hand on certain
traditionalist religious groups.  In the past, we learned from mistakes in
overreaching through policy and accepted accommodations to religious minorities
that expanded freedom without substantially undermining key public policies.
We need to search for that balance again.  Vigilance in defense of religious
liberty, especially when the majority is convinced of its righteousness (which
is almost always), must be renewed in every generation.

In sum, it is dangerous for anyone exercising political power to come too
readily to the certain conclusion that they are not only absolutely correct
about the right answer to every issue but absolutely entitled to use whatever
means are possible to advance that right answer without any concern for the
impact on those who sincerely disagree, with the presumption of every powerful
elite that those who think otherwise should learn “to adjust.”  To quote
Learned Hand, as I did several days ago, “The Spirit of Liberty is the spirit
that is not too sure that it is right.”

Gregory Sisk
Laghi Distinguished Chair in Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minnesota)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923
gcs...@stthomas.edu