Eugene,
Your points are well taken and mirror the argument I would expect the
government to make.  Let me follow up with two points / questions to push on
the  larger issue a bit:
(a) When you say you agree that the vaccination analysis might vary by specific
vaccine, I assume you mean that the government might have a harder time proving
a compelling governmental interest for some vaccines versus others when trying
to argue against a religious exemption.  That analysis could vary based upon
(i) how effective the vaccine is (for instance, the HPV vaccine only provides
protection against 2 of the approximately 40 HPV viruses, although those 2
appear to account for about 70% of the reported cervical and anal cancers
related to HPV -
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Prevention/HPV-vaccine ); (ii) how
contagious the disease is / how it spreads; and (iii) the seriousness of the
effects of the disease (i.e. likelihood of death or serious long-term health
consequences for those affected).  I think we are in agreement on this point,
but would appreciate the confirmation.

(b) The question I was raising with regard to the priest / nun hypothetical was
whether the proposed action or inaction of the party seeking a religious
exemption would (or should) affect the analysis in any way.  Using the MMR
vaccine as an example, I can see the government saying that the actions or
inactions of the religious objector are irrelevant because children can be
exposed to the MMR viruses at all times regardless of what the parents or
children otherwise do (i.e. there is no realistic way in our society to prevent
exposure to a virus that spreads through nose, throat and mouth droplet
transmission).  However, that same argument does not work as well with regard
to HPV.  After all, as the government admits: "The surest way to eliminate risk
for genital HPV infection is to refrain from any genital contact with another
individual." See Item 3 -
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Prevention/HPV-vaccine ) If a
religious objector says, "I've got a less restrictive way to deal with the
problem, i.e. avoidance of extra-marital sexual activity", does the government
get a pass on its burden by arguing that "Everyone's doing it and we think you
will too, no matter what you tell us"?

 I recognize that the HPV vaccine may be an outlier on this, but I think it
provides good material to try to figure out where the boundaries are in this
debate over vaccinations and religious exemptions.
I look forward to your thoughts.
Will
  Will Esser --- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Charlotte, North Carolina