Doug is mostly correct. The few lower court decisions on point have
generally limited Yoder to the Amish (it is sometimes referred to in the
cases and literature as "the Amish exception).

However, I think it is mistake to say that the legality of homeschooling
across the country is purely a result of political pressure in legislatures
and agencies. To be sure, there is a good deal of that going on. The
pro-homeschool lobby is focused on the issue; and it is really difficult to
identify any lobbying group that would counter their interests. (The story
is pretty much the same with the anti-vaxers in general.) So the political
story here is an important one.

But the Court's decisions in Yoder and Pierce v. Society of Sisters play an
important role too. Together, these cases leave the question of whether the
state can prohibit or heavily regulate home schooling open, and they
suggest (though do not explicitly find) a parental right of some sort. The
pro-homeschooling groups make use of these cases when they lobby, leaving
regulators with the impression that it might be unconstitutional to heavily
regulate homeschooling. As a result--together with the political economy on
the matter and the practical questions about how the state meaningfully
*could* regulate homeschooling--they often throw their hands up and concede.

Further, some lower courts have used Yoder and Pierce to read homeschooling
protections broadly in statutory interpretation cases (applying
constitutional avoidance). There was a state appellate court decision about
6 years ago in California along these lines.

Finally, I wonder how courts in states that recognize strong religious
freedom/parental rights but also constitutionally guarantee a free public
education to every child would mediate a decision by a state to condition
public schooling on vaccination.

Hillel Y. Levin
Associate Professor
University of Georgia