Eugene has a new post up on Volokh Conspiracy entitled, "Many liberals’
(sensible) retreat from the old Justice Brennan/ACLU position on religious
exemptions." The piece is lengthy, and I recommend folks read it in full,
but I want to take issue with the following assertion at the heart of
Eugene's analysis:

"Yes, religious objectors can use these RFRAs to try to get exemptions from
antidiscrimination laws. But religious objectors could have done the same
under the Sherbert-era Free Exercise Clause that the ACLU had long
championed."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/04/01/many-liberals-sensible-retreat-from-the-old-justice-brennanaclu-position-on-religious-exemptions/

Insofar as we're talking about discrimination in the commercial
marketplace, which is the context generating almost all of the liberal
concerns about exemptions today, I have to disagree with Eugene's
characterization of the law in the Sherbert era. Indeed, I make precisely
the opposite argument at length in Part II of the following piece:
http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/01/the-born-again-champion-of-conscience/
("The Real Issue: The Unprecedented Expansion of Exemption Rights into the
Commercial Realm").

Nowhere in his post does Eugene acknowledge either United States v. Lee,
which is the only Sherbert-era case in which the Court explicitly addressed
the issue of commercial exemptions, or Piggie Park, where the Court
dismissed a commercial businesses' claim for an exemption from an
antidiscrimination law as "patently frivolous." Instead, Eugene refers to
Justice Brennan's pre-Sherbert dissenting opinion in Crown. Whatever
Justice Brennan's views in 1961, it is difficult to understand how they are
a better representation of the Sherbert-era law than the following explicit
statement of the Court in Lee, which was joined by Justice Brennan (as was
Piggie Park):

"When followers of a particular sect enter into commercial activity as a
matter of choice, the limits they accept on their own conduct as a matter
of conscience and faith are not to be superimposed on the statutory schemes
which are binding on others in that activity. Granting an exemption from
social security taxes to an employer operates to impose the employer's
religious faith on the employees."

Accordingly, I don't think the ACLU's current position can be accurately
described as a "retreat" from their support of Sherbert-era exemption
rights. As Eugene notes in his post, the ACLU still opposes Smith and
supports exemption rights outside the commercial context. As I note in my
piece, this is also true of Americans United and the Brennan Center. The
strong opposition of those organizations to extending exemption rights into
the for-profit commercial realm has sometimes been misread as a reversal of
their position on exemption rights in general (indeed, I myself have made
that mistake in the past), but as I detail in the piece cited above, an
examination of the full record shows that "[l]iberals who opposed *Smith*
in 1990 and supported RFRA in 1993 — including liberal organizations,
professors, and politicians — largely continue to support religious
exemptions for individuals, while opposing the extension of such exemptions
to commercial businesses."

- Jim