Dear Nelson,

I don't see that "the Hobby Lobby Court reaffirmed the principle against
burden-shifting in religion accommodations" or that "Justice Kennedy made
it central to his vote" if by "principle" here you mean the argument --
which, of course, you and several others have very ably developed and
expounded -- that the Establishment Clause rules out (all?) legislative
accommodations that involve or impose third-party costs (on specific,
identifiable third parties).  (I ask about "all" because my recollection is
that you have said that the accommodation at issue in Amos was / is
permissible.)  Justice Ginsburg notes in a footnote that "the government’s
license to grant religion-based exemptions from generally applicable laws
is constrained by the Establishment Clause" but, it seems to me, she did
not rely on this point in her dissent, which seemed to me to be more about
RFRA's particular elements.  Justice Kennedy says, in his penultimate
paragraph, "[y]et neither may that same exercise unduly restrict other
persons, such as employees, in protecting their own interests, interests
the law deems compelling[,]" but he seems to be doing so in the context of
applying what he and the Court call RFRA's "stringent" test and not
necessarily to be invoking an Establishment Clause constraint.  And,
Justice Alito does not mention the Establishment Clause at all.

I also continue to think -- although the conversation about the rule you
and other leading scholars propose is very important -- that it is not
quite the case that "the case law in both areas is lopsided in favor of the
principle" -- again, if the "principle" is the fairly strong Establishment
Clause constraint you all have proposed -- but . . . disagreement among
colleagues helps make life interesting and I guess we just understand
Caldor and Cutter differently. Marc DeGirolami's discussion (here:
http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2013/12/exemptions-from-the-mandate-do-not-violate-the-establishment-clause.html)
and Eugene Volokh's (here:
http://volokh.com/2013/12/04/3b-granting-exemption-employer-mandate-violate-establishment-clause/)
were, for me, helpful.

With respect to your (and others') Establishment Clause argument, I do have
a quick question.  (I am sorry if I am forgetting an answer that you have
already presented in your scholarship!)  Do you think we should think of
the no-burden-shifting rule as applying, in a sense, only *after* we have
identified whatever limits on government regulation the First Amendment
might require (e.g., the ministerial exception), and as applying only as a
constraint on discretionary accommodations, or should we think of the rule
as kicking in "earlier," and as helping to fix the point where the First
Amendment rights of, say, Hosanna-Tabor school end?  Or does it not
matter?  Again, please feel free just to refer me to something else.

All the best,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett

Professor of Law and Concurrent Professor of Political Science

Director, Program on Church, State & Society

Notre Dame Law School

P.O. Box 780

Notre Dame, Indiana 46556-0780

574-631-6981 (w)

574-276-2252 (cell)

rgarn...@nd.edu

To download my scholarly papers, please visit my SSRN page
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=342235>

Blogs:

Prawfsblawg <http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/>

Mirror of Justice <http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/>