Thanks, Alan. Speaking again only for myself, I am open to some balancing, not
only as to this particular principle (against burden shifting to third parties)
but also as a general methodology, as you know. But the conversation is not yet
at that point. Right now, the main debate is over whether the principle even
exists in constitutional law, and what its most basic applications might be,
not over its contours. As a matter of doctrine, the Hobby Lobby Court
reaffirmed the principle against burden-shifting in religion accommodations,
and Justice Kennedy made it central to his vote, but there is some troubling
language in the opinion (see, e.g., footnote 37 and the sharp division between
RFRA and pre-Smith cases). As a matter of application, the Hobby Lobby Court
did not make its ruling contingent on the absence of harm to third parties. And
in fact employees of Hobby Lobby continue to be harmed right now. And as a
matter of theory, finally, prominent scholars continue to deny that the
principle exists and has legal status, under either free exercise or
nonestablishment, despite the fact that the case law in both areas is lopsided
in favor of the principle. But again my basic answer is yes, I am open to that
approach.

On Apr 1, 2015, at 5:46 PM, Alan E Brownstein