Also, the SG's answer was virtually risk-free.  He had only two audiences
-- Justice Kennedy and the public.  And his argument was, IMHO, pitch
perfect as to both of those audiences, elegant and powerful; one of the
best I've ever heard.  Justices Scalia and Alito might be worried about the
Bob Jones analog 20 years from now; but their votes were preordained.