From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Ira Lupu
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:40 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Religious organizations, tax-exempt status and same-sex marriage

Whether or not the SG could or should have answered differently, we can think
about this with clear heads.  I don't know what the "level of scrutiny" has to
do with this question of tax exemption.  Unmarried students at religious
colleges have a right of sexual privacy against the state, but not against
their schools.  If a religious college had a policy of expelling any student
who had sex outside of marriage, is it imaginable that the IRS would revoke the
school's tax exemption?  The IRS has never even revoked the tax exemption of a
church that would not accept a inter-racial marriage.

The whole "Bob Jones" story look like a way to whip up fear among people with
traditional beliefs.  Does it not tell you something that the IRS has not
exercised this sort of power in over 30 years?