The legal analysis in all of our posts have been mostly based on “good faith”
legal arguments.  But we try to figure it out as Ms. Davis’s arguments and
claims seem to evolve.  Most of the people on this list assume that a
reasonable accommodation is possible to protect her “religious freedom.”

Does anyone want to entertain the possibility of the following?

There is no good faith here.  Ms. Davis is taking steps to enhance her
political career and her ability earn money speaking around the country.  In
addition, some people in Morehead (where I was this week) suggest that she is
trying to compensate for her less than “Christian” lifestyle in the past,
including two or three divorces, multiple marriages, children born from one
father while she was married to someone else – all of this I was told by
multiple people on Morehead, I have not done any independent research to verify
it).  Thus people suggested  she is taking this position to shore up her
political strength with evangelicals in eastern Kentucky.

Alternatively, as some have suggested on this list, she simply does not want to
have people marry who they love unless she approves of their lifestyle and so
her actions are not about religious values at all but just old fashioned
homophobia and bigotry,)and she  is doing everything possible to obstruct the
law.  She can’t close the courts or even any other clerk’s offices  She can’t
stand in the school house door, but she is following in the steps of Govs.
Orville Faubus, Ross Barnett,  and George Wallace.  As such, any attempt to
negotiate or accommodate is rebuffed with new arguments and new claims.

I would add that her supporters are doubtless sending fundraising email blasts
to everyone on their email lists begging for money to save Kim Davis for the
Godless heathens (like Judge Bunning???) who are out to get her.  I suspect
they are hoping she will be back in jail next week so they can raise more money.

My assumption, by the way, is that when she took her oath of office she did it
on a Bible and said so help me God, that she would enforce the law (and perhaps
even uphold the Constitution).  I would be interesting to see what oath she
took.  (see Matthew 22:21 and Mark 12:17).  I have not heard anyone raise this
issue, and while it is not relevant in constitutional law, perhaps  it is
significant for the discussion of constitutional politics.

I could be wrong about all this, and overly cynical. Perhaps we will know in a
few months or a little longer, if and when we know what her speaking fees are
after this is over.

Paul Finkelman
Senior Fellow, University of Pennsylvania Program on Democracy, Citizenship,
and Constitutionalism
518-439-7296 (w)
518-605-0296 (c)
paul.finkel...@yahoo.com<mailto:paul.finkel...@yahoo.com>