Hello everybody,
Could "Yalla" be simply the two arabic words "ya" for calling some
one, and "Allah" the Arabic word for "God".
This interpretation makes the whole issue simple enough to
understand, those who are using the word "Yalla" are simply calling
on "GOD" to help them in whatever they're about undertake.
Comments are sought and are welcome by more professional linguists.
Regards to all
Halim
--- In RemEnKimi@yahoogroups.com, "George Ghaly, DDS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I did some research and Prof George Sobhy Bey was correct.
εÌ"́λᾱ is the Present Imperative 2nd person singular form of
εÌ"λαύνω, which means to set in motion. It could have sounded
like â²"ⲉⲗⲁ or â²"ⲁⲗⲁ in Coptic, which makes the stressed
vowel a glide. As a glide, it would be pronounced as yala to the
Copts.

> George
>
> PS. Good work Bashandy.
>

>   _____

On Behalf Of Bahsandy
> Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:09 PM
> To: RemEnKimi@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [RemEnKimi] Re: Coptic word
>

> Hello Maryame,
> I think Ambrose Boulos, meant 'Yala', 'wala' : which are derived
from 'Alou'
> Quoting Dr.Emile Maher at tape (1 or 2) of Copto-Arabica.
>
> However, Yalla: as let's Go. was mentioned on the Book of Georgy
Sobhy Bey. As a derivative from the Greek word 'ELA', the link below
is a scan from the book.
> Common words in the spoken Arabic of Egypt, of Greek or Coptic
origin

> http://www.coptic.org/language/georgy/3.jpg
>
> Its Coptic equivalent is  'MARON' it is mentioned in the Gospel of
St.John Ch.14, also it's part of the Gospel reading of the TERCE
prayer of the horologion (Ajbeya)
> http://www.geocities.com/remenkimi/terce.htm
>

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 23:00:16 +0100
> "Ambrose Boles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hello Maryame.
>
> I read a while ago in:
>
> Emil Maher Ishak. The Phonetics and Phonology of the Bohairic
Dialect of Coptic and the Survival of Coptic Words in the Colloquial
and Classical Arabic of Egypt and of Coptic Grammatical Constructions
in Colloquial Arabic. Volumes 1 - 4. (A D.Phil Thesis submitted to
the University of Oxford, September 1975).

> that Arabic "yalla" is derived from the Coptic word alou "child"
(in the Old Bohairic pronunciation). I can't remember the details as
I read it quickly and I don't have access to the thesis at present.
Hopefully someone who has ready access can check it out â€" it was in
the Survival of Coptic Words in the Colloquial and Classic Arabic of
Egypt section of the thesis.

>   _____
>

> From: "maryame_georgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: RemEnKimi@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [RemEnKimi] Coptic word
> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:13:41 -0000
>
> Hello,
> I wanted to ask if the word "YALLA" used in the Egyptian dialect(
it
> means let's go) has any coptic backgrounds. If it does, what does
it
> really mean and is it used correctly until now?

>  <http://www.copticmail.com> +  C o p t i c M a i l . c o m  +
> Free 300Mb - webmail POP3 accounts
> "Serving Copts Worldwide"

Yahoo! Groups Links