Hi Paul,

* Paul M. Foster via Remind-fans <[email protected]> [2022-09-22 
23:14]:
For what it's worth, I run i3, and recently did a survey of the file
sizes of various terminal emulators.

xfce4-terminal: 387440 bytes
terminology: 556184 bytes
qterminal (LXQt): 403600 bytes
kitty: 14568 bytes

Note that kitty is written in Python so this table is not really meaningful. But then again you are also missing the shared libraries loaded by the other variants. To give you some idea of the file size (not sure if one can draw any conclusion out of it), I propose apt install on a minimal Debian unstable chroot:

$ apt install --no-install-recommends xfce4-terminal | grep "additional disk 
space"
After this operation, 179 MB of additional disk space will be used.

xfce4-terminal 179 MB
terminology 300 MB
qterminal 272 MB
kitty 63.8 MB
xterm 15.8 MB
stterm 15.6 MB

with stterm being https://st.suckless.org/.

I would rather recommend looking at the memory usage when running the executable and for my Debian unstable test system I see (in top -e m):

          VIRT    RES    SHR
kitty   930.6m 103.3m  62.9m
xterm    21.3m  11.0m   6.1m
stterm   15.5m   8.5m   5.6m

I also recommend:

https://lwn.net/Articles/749992/
https://lwn.net/Articles/751763/

Note that stterm gained some speed improvements in the meantime and you can also hand tune it (if you really need) as I wrote down here:

https://lwn.net/Articles/752894/

Cheers Jochen

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to