On 9/17/23 09:56, Storm Dragon via Remind-fans wrote:

I was reading about wxremind, and it says that it will give spoken
reminders using festival. It also says it is no longer maintained.

I was just wondering, how can I do the same thing just using remind's
syntax? I have started off with something extremely simple, my remind
file consists of the following:

# Reminder to Clock in
REM Mon Tue Wed Thu 9:25 MSG "Clock in."

How can I make it so that every Monday through Thursday, at 9:25, it either
does a
notification with notify-send, or speaks with something like spd-say the
reminder to "clock in"?

I find espeak easier to use than festival.  Less configurable, but easier.
The relevant remind command would be something like

REM Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri AT 9:25 RUN espeak Log in.

Maybe there are more succinct ways to write that time specification.  I'm
not that good at Remind.  I run Remind as

remind -z1 ~/.reminders < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 &

I haven't used festival in years, so you're on your own.

As an aside, I find audible reminders very useful.  I wrote a script "say"
which calls espeak (and formerly festival) with useful options.  Oh, that
reminds me, in "say" commented out is this command:

# echo "(SayText \"$phrase\") (quit)" | netcat localhost 1314

(Yeah, I'm a digital packrat too.)

I don't know what was on port 1314.  Probably that's the default listening
port for some part of festival.

--
1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 1110010 1101111
1111001 1100001 1101100 1110100 1111001 0101110 1101101 1101001 1101110
1100101 0101110 1101110 1110101 0111010 0111000 0110001 0101111


_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to