Howdy,

This worked brilliantly, thank you. It also got me to thinking, is there
a way to run a command that is not spoken as part of the reminder?

For example, I have a meeting on jitsi at 4:00PM on Friday, so I add my
reminder, can I also add the link, https://meet.git.si/... and then when
the reminder is sent to notifications, it would say "meeting on Jitsi",
and use xclip to place the link in the clipboard?

I did see the run parameter, but would it require a second entry?

Thanks,
Storm
On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 10:20:34AM -0400, Remind Fans wrote:
On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 10:14:31 -0400
Storm Dragon via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:

Unfortunately tkremind is not an option for me. I am blind and use the
Orca screen reader. TK is not accessible at all with it,
so I have to do everything by hand.

Ah, got it.

I'm guessing I would add remind -k to cron, but in this case, how
would I make it not speak the reminders that are on the same day but
have either already passed, or are still in the future by more than 5
minutes? For example, it's 10:30AM on Monday, so I don't want the
9:25AM reminder. I also have a second one for 5:00PM, and I don't
really need to know about it until 4:55PM.

If you have the very latest version of Remind, then running the following
command when you log in (maybe from your .bashrc file) should do the trick:

remind -z '-k:notify-send %s &' ~/.reminders < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 &

The "-k:" option will run notify-send, but the colon means to run it
only when queued reminders are issued, not when Remind first starts
up.

The redirection to/from /dev/null disconnects Remind from your terminal
so it'll keep running in the background.

The -z option makes Remind run in daemon mode.

If you want advance warning, use a delta in your reminder.  For example:

  REM Mon Tue Wed Thu AT 9:25 +5 MSG Clock in %2.

will trigger at 9:20 and 9:25.

Regards,

Dianne.



_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/


--
⛈🐲
Accessible low cost computers for everyone! https://stormux.org
Stormux Code Repository: https://git.stormux.org/storm/stormux
                         https://git.stormux.org/storm/configure-stormux
Stormux Shop: https://stormux.org/shop/
Get my public PGP key: gpg --recv-key 43DDC193
The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple 
problems look like large, complex ones.

Support Stormux: https://ko-fi.com/stormux

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to