--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Custer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> ac0y5 wrote:
>
> > I WILL NOT PUT UP CRAP NOR DO I HAVE A N Y TOLORANCE FOR ANY ONE
THAT DOES, PERIOD. I beleave if it is crap in needs to be taken off
the air. That is exactly what I told the trustee of our clubs
repeater. I spent many hours making shure that it as one of the best
sounding machines in town and may be THE best.
> >73
> >ALL
> >

> Sometimes the best sounding repeaters are the ones that need to be
> looked at more closely.  Over occupied bandwidth issues can result
in
> excellent sounding audio, but at the expense of needed filtering
to keep
> things clean an be a good neighbor, especially in a 15 Kc channel
> spacing world.
>
> We had a Spectrum once, it was absolutely the best sounding
repeater
> around by far, but at the expense of precious AF filtering ahead
of the
> modulator.  After the charge pump capacitors became dry in the ACC
> controller we were using and the 15 Kc audio that resulted on the
B-
> rail created a 15 Kc spur, we seriously looked into the audio
chain of
> the Spectrum Exciter.  We were surprised that the Low Pass
filtering
> section was essentially non existent.  This filter was an "option"
that
> was never installed in most "ham" repeaters delivered from
Spectrum from
> the factory.
>
> Spectrum,  at least they named them properly.....
>
> Just be damn certain you look at it with a SA and continue to do
so on a
> very regular basis.

Well said Kevin, but not JUST "Spectrum" machines. All repeater
owners should look at their machines at the very least monthly on a
SA as well as have local monitoring equipment. That is why I'm not
crazy about "NEW HAMS" buying and or owning repeaters with out  some
experiance and knowlege.
73 to ALL