Rod Lane wrote:

> I think we all agree that there's nothing wrong with having the fuses
> there.

It all depends. Let's say you have both fused. The fuses are going to be
near the battery if they are fused correctly. Most any auto tech, seeing
a fuse on a line (red, black, white, or purple with pink stripes) is
going to assume that's a positive wire and attach it to the positive
lead on the battery. So, the negative fuse blows. BUT, will YOU ever
know it?

Why do I say that? Because when the fuse blows in the ground lead, your
radio may be perfectly happy with using the radio mount as a ground
path. Most radios do have a grounded chassis. OK, if you're mounted to
plastic, you're off the hook, right? WRONG! Your antenna is also
grounded to the chassis of the car, or should be (magnetic mounts
excluded). So, that's a nice ground path as far as your radio is
concerned. Care to put 10-20A or more through your antenna shield?

So, no, I DON'T agree that there is nothing wrong with having the fuse
there. It could mask problems or cause confusion. Granted, the same
could happen if the auto tech forgets to put the ground side back on,
but that's why I like, in MOST cases, to ground the radio to the chassis
near the radio. Anymore, the ground side of the battery is the side that
gets disconnected for service. The less attached to it, the less likely
it is for something to be forgotten. I also don't like running the
positive right to the battery for the same reason. Run it to the power
distribution point that should be located close to the battery and fed
with a very heavy line. That's what it is there for.

Joe M.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: