--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim B. wrote:
>
> >Doesn't matter-in fact a repeater that's tied up all day with chatter
> >isn't available for emergency communications. Plus the more time it
> >spends keyed up, the less time till something fails.
> >

> Dang... I better go turn my alarm clock off so I can save it for a day
> when I really need to get up in the morning.
>
> Or maybe I better go tell the local RBOC switch guys that they can't
> provide 911 service through a busy #5ESS... all those electrons flowing
> from the normal phone calls might wear it out!
>
> Or maybe I should tell the police and fire dispatchers to "save" their
> repeaters for a really bad day?
>
> LOL... I hope you were joking, because that was a really funny
> statement.  If it wasn't intended as a joke, it was supremely ignorant
> of how electronics work... design the thing for 100% duty cycle and
> forget about how much traffic it gets, designed right -- it doesn't
> matter in the slightest how much activity it gets.
>
> Nate Duehr, [EMAIL PROTECTED] - WY0X

No, I'm not kidding, but maybe you are???
I've been doing two-way radio for 25 years now, both commercial and
amateur. I was working on prog lines and Industrial
Disasters...uh...Dispatchers in Junior High. Somethings I've learned:
Transistors DO go soft, just like tubes, just not as fast (especially
RF transistors).
If it was made by man, it WILL fail. Someday, somehow, when you least
expect it...

Jim