> "Steve Bosshard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The Doug Hall voter works on noise just above
> the voice band,

Actually, the Hall and LDG Voters I have work on
rectified noise in the voice band, just the higher
portion of the range where fundamental voice energy
is minimal.

> just over 3 kc in freq.  If the response from
> the remote sites is different and either boost
> or attenuate this band of signal, the voter may
> false.

The Hall and LDG Voters I have are not true signal
to noise voters. I have not seen a new/current Hall
voter circuit, just the earlier pc card circuits -
versions. They are not real S-N voter circuits.

The original hall voters I have here seem to false
more on loud levels more than any other circuit. But
it's by far a much older circuit than the LDG voter.

> Also, if the audio response if different between
> voters, the repeated signal will go up and down
> and change fidelity as it changes receivers.

The voter return paths should be equalized. There
should be little noticed change while voting.

> The DHE and GE voters are dynamic and will change
> receivers during a transmission if the user takes
> a fade.  Some of the MOT Spectratac jobs voted on
> initial receiver un squeched and sent a quality
> tone down the line for the voter, and it would
> remain on the same receiver during the transmission.

That would be the very early A/B tone voter system, not
the more popular and very common second generation
Spectra Tac system, which had options for locking and
dynamic vote functions.

The GE and Motorola Voters are true Signal to Noise
circuits. That's a big plus in the real world.

I have tried almost every type of voter system. They
all work ok, but some circuits are much better than
others (The Motorola and GE circuits).

cheers
skipp

www.radiowrench.com