Around 1998 or so, a company called Morris Softronics made one of
these. It sold for around $200. I think they are no longer made. What
we finally did on our repeater was to use an old Maxtrac with a zapped
final and feed the audio to a homemade decoder tuned to 1050hz. It
used a 567 decoder and a 555 timer to make sure the tone stayed up for
5 sec or so. The output then fired a macro to change the courtesy tone
to a morse "W". The users could then tone a sequence to bring up NWS
audio to see what the alert was about. The user could also tone a
sequence to return the courtesy tone to normal.
What actually happened was that we got alerts for about 20 counties
that did not apply to us. The users got tired of hearing the "W" and
would kill it as soon as it appeared without listening.
It is now disconnected, but one day I may try to take a cheapie SAME
receiver and feed the 10.7mhz IF to it from the Maxtrac so I can get
alerts for just our area.
Henry, K4HAL

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Mike WA6ILQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>