Nope - you don't need to be home, and you already have a
long-term recorder in your house right now.

Take your VCR, and set it to record from the external video
and audio jacks.  Stick a tape in it - any tape will give you at
least 2 hours, extended play mode up to 6.  Program the VCR to
record from an hour before to an hour behind.

On one of my machines I had to loop the video from video out
to video in before the unit would record - it apparently needed
the video sync before it would record - even from the audio input.
Strange.

Anyway then dub the important part from the VCR to a cassette
or into your sound card  for archiving.  Then you can play either
over and over and over.... when you wear out the cassette you
can dub a new one.  And when a storm rolls through you can
put use the VCR recorder again to get more alerts.

Mike WA6ILQ