This topic interests me, not just because I personally abhor adaptors in any
repeater system, but also because I see that others are equally passionate
about certain cables.

After spending many years troubleshooting repeater systems cobbled together
by my friends and colleagues, most of which were replete with every
connector series known to Mankind- and which used many adapters to mate
between series- I became aware that the most troublesome repeaters had the
largest number of adapters.

When I began to design my own repeater systems, I vowed to abide by three
simple rules:
1.  Use only Mil-spec RG-400/U or RG-214/U cable for jumpers and
interconnecting cables, and
2.  Make up these cables with the correct connectors on each end, using the
specified tools, and
3.  Use only crimped connectors with silver-plated brass bodies, gold-plated
contacts, and Teflon dielectric.

None of my systems have adaptors or "barrel" connectors, since the cables
are made up to fit the job.  There are no BNC or UHF connectors; except for
very unusual situations, all connectors are Type N with a few mini-UHF
needed to mate with a particular radio.  It would not occur to me to use an
adapter to mate a male N connector to a UHF female connector- I would have a
premium UHF male connector on that end of the cable!  Of course, this only
is an issue with older radios and duplexers; the modern counterparts have
female N connectors.

I guess the bottom line here is that almost all double-shielded and 100%
shielded cable will perform superbly in a repeater system, if properly
installed.  I have never heard of any repeater system that was significantly
improved by replacing RG-214/U with 3/8" hardline, Superflex, or any other
trendy cable- unless the original installation was flawed.  We should all be
ready to accept that a flawed installation does not condemn a cable brand or
type.  In my personal opinion, the use of adapters in place of the exactly
correct connectors leads to a flawed installation.  YMMV!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY