Lee,

I appreciate your comments, but I can rebut them easily.  I have seen too
many clamp-type connectors pull apart, usually because they were
over-tightened during assembly.  Take a close look at a MIL-spec clamp-type
N connector, and you can see that the knife-edge component can slice right
through the braid if the nut is over-tightened, allowing the cable and the
center conductor to pull right out of the connector.  That seldom, if ever,
happens with a properly-applied crimp connector.  Moreover, how often do you
see a technician use a torque wrench to tighten the nut, per instructions?
Most cable techs just wrench the nut until it doesn't move any more- and
that's exactly where the faulty installation occurs.  When the proper
crimper is used, that cannot occur with a crimp connector.

One of the first requirements of a jumper or cable installation is that
there should not be any tension on the connector or the cable.  I daresay
that any connector, whether crimp or clamp, that pulls apart did so because
of tension.  DUH!  A proper cable or jumper installation does *not* subject
its connectors to tension, so there should be no case of connectors pulling
apart!

As far as consistent results, I think it's a wash.  I recognize that an
experienced craftsman can assemble and attach any connector consistently,
time after time.  But, time is money.  I can install a crimp-type male N
connector on a given type of cable in perhaps 1/2 or 1/3 the time it takes
to install a MIL-spec clamp connector.  On a complex job, this disparity may
amount to several hours.  If the project engineer knows that a high-quality
crimp connector is just as reliable as a high-quality clamp connector, he or
she will make the right choice.  Since the N connector is a
constant-impedance design, there should not be any impedance "bump" seen on
a VNA, regardless of whether it is attached by crimp or by clamp means.

I will admit that a crimp N connector is not waterproof to the degree that a
MIL-clamp N connector is, but I don't install crimp N connectors outdoors
without a multiple overwrap of bi-seal tape.  The final installation is
absolutely waterproof and reliable, as evidenced by several decades of
performance.  I happen to prefer silver/gold connectors made by RF
Industries, but equally reliable crimp connectors are made by Amphenol,
Delta, Huber+Suhner, and others.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY