  _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of skipp025
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 12:10 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Switching Power Supply vs. Astron Etc.

> If the supply you are using is fine why change? Yes, you
> would gain some amperage capacity.

Relative example...
A room full of Motorola Repeater Stations in non constant
service costs about $30/month each to operate. Put the repeater
into lock to talk mode (IRLP or Echolink) and the energy cost
rises by almost a third (typical).

One of the energy soaks is the well designed and constructed
transformers within the repeater power supplies.

Replacing the hungry Motorhead Power Supplies cuts at least
1/2 off the power bill, which is much nicer when you're the one
having to pay it.

> However, switching supplies are inherently noisy. You
> could experience problems from these noises. I realize
> we are not talking about HF. But, it is possible to wind
> up with a problem you don't have now.

Many of the common 13.8 vdc switchers sold to the ham market
will hose up at least the 160 meter ham band no problem, which
is just above the am broadcast band I have on the shop when
XM is stale.

> If that 50 amp supply is fine, I see no advantage in the change.
> Dave

Cheers Dave,
skipp