hi all,

With about all rigs manufactured in last 10 years or more CTCSS
encode is standard and finding the tone of the repeater is easy.  If
the repeater transmits the tone some rigs find it for you.

However, this is only if you know a repeater exist on a frequency.

Here in Florida I have a high repeater that is NOT toned.  With the
influx of new Hams and ones on vacation about every week someone
comes on my machine and comments it is the only one they can make.
The reason is the other repeaters are toned and due to the typical
Ham Radio not keeping things up to date they cannot get into the
toned repeaters because the tone has been changed.

Tone has definite advantages and is being required by repeater
cancels more.  However, the advantages do not alway apply.  Hearing
DX is not a problem with me for I have always thought DX was part of
Ham Radio.  Noise is becoming more common these days so tone would
help this.

Putting tone on a repeater does not bring it into the 21st century.
It brings it to about 1950s technology, but can be good for many.

73, ron, n9ee/r

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Coy Hilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>