Are you doing these tests while using an outboard controller?

Does it do it with the PA output connected directly to a dummy load?  I'm
wondering if you have excessive RF floating around that's somehow getting
into the logic circuitry.

Does it do it with PA disconnected from the exciter?  I'm wondering if the
power supply voltage is crashing under load, causing strange behavior in
logic circuits.

Does it do it if you key the station using the mic?

If you have already, pull all of the cards out of the cage except for the
10V regulator and key the station that way.  Does it still hang up?

Sounds like a real mystery...

                                                --- Jeff