--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Schafer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Intermod IS the result of mixing. The mixing can take place in your
receiver
> (commonly called receiver intermod).
> Mixing can take place in your own transmitter, which generates a
product
> that falls on your receive frequency(or on someone else's) or the
mixing can
> take place in someone else's transmitter with the resulting product
falling
> on your receive frequency. It is all intermodulation. i.e. the
result of
> mixing of two or more frequencies in a non linear device.

And, if I understand correctly, even a loose/poor/corroded connector
or other diode type of junction in the RF field can be at fault.  I
am admittedly inexperienced in this sort of issue.

For the record, the interference appears as an on frequency signal
(leading me to initially suspect intermod of some type) with clear
audio of the dispatcher and officers.  At first I thought I heard a
second level of audio as well that I haven't been able to identify it
whether it is background or another transmitter--partly due to
catching it at the right time, and partly because my QTH doesn't
allow me to hear it very well.  KC0MLS thought receiver overload may
be the issue so that's why we're trying the Celwave cavity.

As much as I'd like to go in and rebuild the site properly, hire
climbers to reposition the antennas, and send them the bill, it's not
within the realm of possibility.  So, let's just toss out any ideas
of working with anything but the amateur radio repeater.

- Nate >>