  From: Eric Lemmon
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:17 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Intermodulation Interference

  That last comment about the spectrum analyzer is an excellent suggestion.
  Trying to solve such interference problems with cavities or isolators may
  involve far more effort and expense than necessary. Here's a case in point:

  I was getting some severe interference to my reception of an Amateur
  repeater on 147.210 MHz, but not on other Ham repeaters. My base radio at
  the time was a Kenwood TK-760K2, which is a low-tier commercial product.
  The interference was sometimes voice, and sometimes data. I could almost
  eliminate the interference by putting a DCI bandpass filter in the feedline,
  but then I couldn't receive or transmit on the commercial frequencies used
  by other VHF repeaters I control.

  So, I pulled out my trusty Hameg digital spectrum analyzer, and set it to
  sweep the 140-160 MHz band. As soon as the interference began, I had the
  answer: 3rd order intermodulation with two local paging systems. Two
  paging transmitters on a hilltop a few miles from my house were each running
  about 3.5kW ERP- one on 152.480 MHz and the other on 157.740 MHz. The
  interference only occurred when the two paging transmitters were on the air
  at the same time as the 147.210 MHz repeater. This was third-order IM
  because two times 152.480 MHz minus one times 157.740 MHz (three "times"
  involved) equals 147.220 MHz, close enough to 147.210 MHz to obliterate the
  latter. The mixing was occurring in the front end of my base radio, AKA
  receiver IM. One of the simple solutions to receiver IM is the
  "local-distant" function that is frequently available in the programming
  software. The local position adds a small amount of attenuation in the
  front end, which can make a huge difference in IM rejection. In my case,
  however, the 147.210 MHz repeater is a distant station that I must use the
  "distant" setting to receive.

  The interference went away after I upgraded my base radio to a Motorola
  CDM1550-LS. Sometimes, an interference issue affects only certain designs,
  models, or brands. I readily acknowledge that my situation might be
  exceptional, with two very powerful paging transmitters at a nearby site.
  What if I had a repeater at the same site as the paging transmitters? That
  would definitely be a problem faced by repeater owners, over and over again!

  Back to the original premise, that of seeing what other signals are on the
  air at the same time the interference occurs, is of major benefit to an
  interference investigation. A spectrum analyzer is the instrument of choice
  for that task.

  73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY