Ya you should be able to trim your coax so the transmitter "sees" 50 ohms,
which should be every 1/2 wave.  All this does it protect the transmitter,
the standing waves are still there, they just gets dissipated/radiated by
the coax.

Also with cans usually, if I have enough time on my hands, I tune them one
way (higher frequency = cans marked TX), then the other (lower frequency =
cans marked TX).  Almost every time you'll get a different outcome.  Which
way you tune them in the end depends on your situation, weather your putting
out lots of TX power and need the isolation, or if you care about receive
sensitivity.  I find that usually one side of the duplexer will have a
better insertion loss than the other, while the other will have better null
than the other.  The one with better insertion loss I usually put on the RX
side (I can simply bump the TX power by a dB to compensate for the extra
loss).  This of course only applies to cans where you can not set the
insertion loss.  For cans that you can change the insertion loss you can
spend hours on fiddleing.

If you take your transmitter and put it into a dummy load what's its TX
power?

Also no one mentioned this (I think), but check you cables and connectors, I
had one that was bad, produced a bunch of swr, cans were fine.

Jesse