Kinda off track for a Ham repeater group, but been there done that.
Mine was due to loss of 800 SMR channels when they were easy to come by,
then later impossible to get due to freezes.

Exclusivity.  You need at least one repeater that has exclusive use in a
service area because LTR uses centralized control and the HOME repeater
needs to be exclusive.  Having the second repeater also exclusive is a
big plus.  Next narrowband vs wideband.  Depending on location you may
be narrow band - that seems to work OK.

You need two repeaters and controllers.  Some repeaters like the Johnson
VX have logic built in.  Others use IDA, RLC, Trindent, Zetron Model 42,
etc.  You should be able to handle 6 to 10 groups of 10 to 15 radios
pretty comfortably - probably more.  The curve for users vs channels is
exponential as adding a channel makes much more capacity than one
channel by itself.

Best success, Steve NU5D