An LTR mobile will try and access the repeater - short data
transmissions, even if the base repeater's transmitter is inhibited.
Some of the older stuff had to hear the data word from the repeater
first in order to transmit, but newer radios, though they cannot
handshake with a dead repeater, will try.  Also if the home repeater is
locked out, the subscriber units have no way to go to repeater 2 unless
repeater 1 (locked out due to busy channel) tells the mobile to go to
rept 2.  So, you need at least one exclusive channel for the system to
have any reasonable chance of working (or else use a very poor guard
receiver.....)  Steve NU5D