Bob Dengler wrote:

> One concept that really helps in this area is CTCSS tone frequency
> standardization, IOW tones by region.  All you then need to know is the
> freq. being used in the area you're traveling to.  Many areas are already
> well established: 110.9 in Rochester NY, 107.2 in Niagara Falls & San
> Diego, 131.8 in Santa Barbara, 127.3 in Springfield MA.  Even if you don't
> know what tone is in use, all you have to do is find the tone of one
> system.  After that you can find the others by kerchunking (with ID of
> course!) all the other pairs with that tone.
>
> Bob NO6B

It seems to me that if you have all the repeaters in an area running the
same CTCSS tone, and start fighting a mixing problem... everything is
going to be back to keying everything else in short order.

Out here, whether by design or by mistake -- I don't know which, it was
all before my time -- the different large clubs all ended up using their
own tones for their repeaters...

Our club is 107.2, another large club is 103.5, the statewide linking
system is 123.0, a couple of smaller clubs use 100.0...

No one's the same, all require tone to access the repeater in almost all
cases (there are a few die-hards with CSQ repeaters, but most have had
to use controllers that have "anti-kerchunk" features to keep the
noise/crud out), and not to many folks complained -- after the initial
whining when most of the clubs moved "together" to require CTCSS, years ago.

Nate WY0X