Your typical swr meter does not measure voltage on the line. It is measuring
a combination of voltage and current. By just measuring voltage it is
impossible to tell which is forward and which is reflected.

By using a slotted line you can find voltage min and max but you must have a
line that is at least 1/4 wavelength long. This is impractical at HF
frequencies and cumbersome at VHF.

73
Gary K4FMX