I concur with Joe.
WPRC has done a good job at putting a CTCSS grid in their coordination area.

Corey-- a note . . . In my case I maintain 4 repeaters in Fayette County, PA
with 3 of them being mounted at 2600-2800 AMSL and a HAAT greater than
1000'.  On the eastern side of the mountain ridge HAAT could be said to be
200' on average with the western side of the ridge, there ain't nothing
higher than us going west for a long way. i.e. till you hit Colorado.  Of
those 4 repeaters, 1 is currently full time PL (443.750+ 131.8 W3PIE), 2 of
the VHF's are in fulltime TX PL with the ability to turn the RX PL on via
DTMF control.  (147.045 + 131.8 W3PIE, 145.170 - 131.8 WB3JNP)  Our
remaining repeater is in the process of going to the same setup and should
be resolved over the next few months (147.255 + W3PIE)

A minor band opening has us routinely picking up mobiles 200-400 miles away
on VHF and same or greater on UHF.  A major band opening will have stations
from Canada talking to stations in Georgia via our repeaters

As a note, when the repeaters are in Full PL and the band is "wide open" you
may not realize it as the repeater isn't retransmitting the skip.  On the
flip side of that issue, you may not be able to use your repeater system
because the non pl'ed signal is stronger into the receiver than you with the
PL.  Routinely happens with a backup Public Safety Repeater here on
453.525/458.525 118.8 when the skip is wide open.  Traffic from Kentucky
state comes in stronger than the mobiles 15 miles from the repeater.

Getting people to use the PL'ed repeater is another story.  I have been
trying to get people to understand that they can transmit a PL of 131.8 on
the repeater input full time to make the transition to PL repeater easier.
The response I get frequently is :: But the repeater isn't in PL, it won't
work if I transmit the PL. . . .

Enough from me for now.

73,
Tony, KA3VOR