On Sep 20, 2007, at 11:41 AM, MCH wrote:

> You know - it would be SO much easier to transition if the REPEATERS
> could serve dual-use. That way, existing analog repeaters could be
> replaced with D-STAR and both modes could be used while the users
> transition to digital.

110% agreed there.

> This is a huge advantage of P25 - those repeaters CAN be dual mode.
> D-STAR is digital only.

But it's still the user radio that implements busy-lockout in P25.
In our local mixed-mode system, analog users (who can't be bothered
to put in a CTCSS tone on receive) regularly pop up in-between
digital transmissions musing, "What's that horrible noise getting
into the repeater?!"

And if the digital users have analog/digital busy-channel lockout
turned on in their rigs, they see the receive light is on, and they
can't PTT until the confused ham has given up.

LOL!  I usually monitor quietly with another analog rig when we're
playing with P25 so I can cross-over and explain that what they're
hearing isn't "interference".

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X