Eric,
   Thanks for your quick response. It's true that most of the ham grade
portables have far too much tone deviation as delivered. The issue here is
only with VX6's so far. Of the VX6's actually measured one was only 200 Hz
deviation and all seemed low, that is, none were up to 500 Hz. Have not
measured tone accuracy or distortion.

    I doubt if these radios have been modified as the owners aren't
particularly technically inclined. One is blind.

    So the questions remain: Is the Quantar PL sensitivity adjustable? Is it
a good thing to make it more sensitive? How do I convince some users that
there may be a problem with their radio?

    "My radio worked before you guys messed with the repeater. Now it
doesn't. So fix the repeater." is the attitude. I would hate to compromise
an otherwise great repeater.

Al, K9SI