I remember one such room back in the mid to late
1970s; actually it was almost a floor in itself, as
opposed to a room. Four huge Westinghouse traction
motors, each with its own rotary converter, handled 11
floors. Racks with hundreds of microswitches and a
moving panel followed the cab's progress and
controlled the movement. A relay wall continuously
clacked and sparked as buttons were pressed. We always
wanted to figure out which relay to kick closed as we
were leaving, to call one cab to the top floor so it
would meet us there.

There were several other pieces of radio equipment in
the same area, including some government stuff,
although theirs was located in a corner by the
stairway and nowhere near the actual elevator stuff.

Other than the constant clicking and whir of the MG
sets, the noise wasn't that bad. I have more annoying
noise from the fans in a 20kw FM transmitter at my UHF
repeater site than was present in that old elevator
room. Hearing protection? What's that?

I doubt that the RF would have had any effect on the
120/240V DC relays used by the old Westinghouse
system, but I can see how today's solid-state logic
could be bothered by enough nearby RF.

Maybe the NEC regs changed in the last 30 years. I
think all the radio stuff eventually got moved to
another building.

Bob M.
======
--- "Steve S. Bosshard (NU5D)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>