  From: Mike Morris WA6ILQ
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 7:57 PM
  Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Remote power monitoring

  At 05:40 PM 12/16/07, you wrote:
  >Mike,
  >
  >Oh, you've got one of those guys, too? He might be related to the fellow in
  >my area who thinks that increasing the power on his mobile radio will raise
  >the volume level on the 2m repeater- even if he is already full quieting!

  Like the local guy that has a beam, and no matter how many times
  he's told can't seem to remember that he's using a repeater, and the
  repeater is northeast of him...
  When he's talking to a guy who is southeast of him he goes and points
  the beam towards him, and then says that he's got a weak signal...

  >He and his relatives always give "loud and clear" signal reports, even when
  >the talker is barely readable. These fellows are well-meaning, but they
  >cannot bring themselves to criticize a fellow Ham, even when that Ham has a
  >nearly unreadable signal.

  This is why I wish more repeater controllers had a user-accessible DVR
  track (even if it was only 10 seconds), and macros to record, play and
  erase it.
  I saw a web page a while back on how to build one using a Hallmark
  record/playback greeting card, but I can't find it now.

  >Back to the original topic: I shall endeavor to create a plausible
  >interface with the WT-2, after I receive it.
  >
  >73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

  As far as I know the CAT-1000 does not have any analog inputs, and
  no way to add them. This means that even if you had a device to
  create analog DC voltages from the forward and reverse power (i.e.
  the forward/reverse power monitoring module from EMR or Telewave
  that Eric was referring to), you couldn't read the voltage, set thresholds
  and speak alerts based on those thresholds.... much less take those
  voltages, scale them to useful numbers, and speak the numbers back
  to you.

  Or fake the guys out... set up a DTMF command that when triggered
  says "97 watts forward, 1.5 watts reverse"
  Unless you really do lose your antenna, or have a power amplifier
  deck flake out on you the average user will never know the difference.

  Mike WA6ILQ