--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Kris Kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Eric Lemmon wrote:
> > One question comes to mind:  Is it really necessary that you know
> > exactly what the forward/reverse power readings are, or the SWR, or
> > are you concerned about whether the values have drifted outside a
> > certain tolerance? I think that I would want to hear a voice
> > notification that power is abnormally low, or the SWR is abnormally
> > high, rather than the value.
>
> I always wondered how much a few inches of radial ice detuned at DB-
224.
> ;)

      Well, have you noticed the ice on power poles and how it gets
caked on and yet causes no outages, particularly on the primary power
towers going cross country?  The only ice failures is the breakages as
a result of the weight, because the ice is frozen distilled water and
doesn't conduct.  Surprised??   As such it shouldn't cause a change in
SWR..

Check the Tillamook County, Oregon site and it shows telemetery chart
of such things, of Mt. Hebo and Caper Mears installations, right on the
Coast.  Their power output will change, but not the SWR, and yet they
are on the West Coast of the  USA at the shore of the Pacific Ocean!!

Best wishes,

Dick, W7TIO