Nate,

I've been designing 8870s and 8880s in things for over 15 years.  Good chip and
it has lasted.

Pin 3 is simply the output of the internal op-amp and using a feed back
resistor to 2 and driving with another one can set the AC gain over a wide
range.  The gain is feedback/driving resistor unless you wish to drive the
non-inv input.  The 1/2 Vcc source, pin 4, was cleaver by Mitel to simply use
with a single 5 V supply.

As to the other gain pins it is best not to use these for some other
manufactures of the chip do not provide them.  California Micro Devices,
probably one of the biggest manufacture, does not.  Really with the op-amp and
allowing of adjusting its gain one does not really need these.

For the 8880 the analog input is the real easy part.  The CPU interface is much
more difficult, but really simple design.  The only same pin out of the 8870 to
8880 is the input op-amp.  After that all changes.

I normally do away with the steering circuit for RC adjusting the attack/decay
decode times.  I do both in software and tie pins 16 & 17 together on 8870, 18
& 19 on 8880.  This give instant decode/release time, but use software for the
timing.

As with any op-amp using a dif amp, as the 8870 & 8880 do, single ended or dif
input can be done.

Looks like you cut and pasted your posting, hi.  Referred to figures not
included.  Oh well.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575