From: Bruce Bagwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: RadioShack Recalls Power Supplies
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 6:08 PM

I figured that was A local code,
not NEC.  The only reason I can think of for that requirement is the
ampacity of the 12 or 14 ga wires.  While we all know, in actual use, 2 or
more outlets strung along will not all have 15 amp or higher loads in EACH
outlet. However, theoretically, each outlet could have A 20 amp load
plugged into it.That is probably why some pencil pusher decided each outlet
needs its own wire.  (Never mind the fact the breaker would trip regardless
of what is plugged into each outlet or the number of wires leading to said
outlets, but that's another crazy thread) As for the Breaker Box, I would
assume
each also has its own breaker. Trying to stuff more than one wire into A
breaker
would more fun than I care to have.

Bruce
KE5TPN

Dave,

This is a code requirement here in my county and think all of
Florida.

The code requirements for building is a county/state issue and
vary. Most use the NEC code. Many have additional codes such as having wind
resistance building. The way homes are constructed in the north would not be
allowed in Florida mainly due to the wind. This is why we see so much concrete
block construction with lots of requirements for attaching to foundation and
roof securing. Just different part of the US.

Same with electric code.
For various reasons some additional changes are often made. Just because you
have a code in your area does not mean it is in all of US. It is county mostly
with some state codes. In my county there were NO building codes until the 70s.
Can you believe this.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED] com>
>Date:
2008/07/06 Sun AM 11:43:50 EDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@ yahoogroups. com
Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: RadioShack Recalls Power Supplies Due
toElectrocution
and Fire Hazards

>Where is the requirement for running a
separate feed to EACH OUTLET
>REQUIRED? Not in the US> A "dedicated
out is required for certain
>special situations but not for each outlet
elsewhere. There are certain
>other requirements such as GFCI and AFCI.
But, certainly no dedicated

Wright wrote:
>> Gary,
>>
>> I've noticed in panels
the safety ground and neutral go to a different buss bar. I had thought maybe
because the neutral was sometimes, not now to code, smaller than the neutral.
However, both got connected to the panel case. One can Ohm out neutral to
safety
and only see the resistance in the wiring to/from the panel. However, as you
well know, should not be considered the same.

>> In most
plastic coated wireing I see today the safety wire is green coated, but some is
still bare as you said. I've seen lots of this.

>> Now in
our county following NEC code the safety wire has to be same size as neutral .
No more of the 14-2 w/G cable, but 14-3 one being safety ground color or bare.
Also they are doing something different, a separate set of wires must be ran
between panel and each outlet...no more of one wire to one outlet and then from
here to another outlet, etc. Can you imagine the extra cost and labor. Not sure
what they do at the breaker panel...put in separate breaker for each outlet.
Not
sure if this NEC code or something to do with the hurricane code we have here
in
Florida. We do lots of construction very different here,
hi.

>> 73, ron,
n9ee/r

Date: 2008/07/06 Sun AM 10:19:49 EDT

Subject: Re: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: RadioShack Recalls Power Supplies Due
toElectrocution and Fire Hazards

>>> I don't know
what part of the US you live in, but around here (western IL)

the grounding conductor ('safety ground') is bare in Romex-type cable,
and
>>> may or may not be insulated in conduit, and usually one size
smaller than
>>> the 'main'
conductors.

>>> Also, the GC goes to one bus-bar,
the neutral to another, the GC bus-bar is
>>> bonded ot the neutral
at the SERVICE panel (incoming power, the one with the
>>> 'Main'
braker that shuts off all power), but is kept separate in all

sub-panels, and from the sub-panel(s) there must be a separate GC
(coded
>>> green) run back to the GC bus-bar in the service
panel.

>> Ron
Wright, N9EE
>> 727-376-6575